Feb 16, 2018

The Pumpkin


Staring at me is a pumpkin. Uncarved, ungathered, growing in my father's garden. I can feel my soul pierced by its eyes.
It was my father's special pumpkin. Back when I was a kid, he summoned in a soul and bound it to the pumpkin. But no just any soul: my brother's. My father gave him blue crystal eyes and he has been sitting in the garden ever since.
But now I sense he's torubled. I can feel the tension in the air between us. Same thing happened before grandma died. I am scared. I stare at him back, as he slowly blinks.
Last night I couldn't sleep. What was going to happen? Is somebody going to die? And worst of all, when, or who? I was rolling in my bed, trying to get some sleep, closing my eyes, but every time I would open my eyes and see him. The pumpkin. He blinks again. I slowly close my eyes and, all of a sudden, I hear a scream! I get out of my room, and I see on the kitchen floor my mother, crawling on the ground, with a knife stuck to her chest. She looks at me and then... gasps... Her face turns violet...
Father comes and looks down at her. He gets on his knees and cries...
-Today, I felt it again, I said... The pumpkin, it was staring at me. I could feel the tension.
He gets up, with a grave face, and nods. He picks up the axe near the door and gets out in the garden. I get out, and follow him through the cold summer night. I see him near the pumpkin, who was looking back at him. He gets his axe up, above his head, and strikes down the pumpkin in half. Something like a white foam gets out of his insides. His soul in now free, let him rest in peace...
Father throws the axe near the pumpkin and gets mother's corpse to the church...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment: